Skip to content
- Dermody TS, Ettinger A, Savage Friedman F, Chavis V, Miller E. The Pittsburgh Study: Learning with Communities About Child Health and Thriving. Health Equity. 2022 May 1;6(1):338-44.
Family Strengths Survey
- Ray KN, Ettinger AK, Dwarakanath N, Mistry SV, Bey J, Chaves-Gnecco D, Alston KA, Ripper L, Lavage DR, Landsittel DP, Miller E. Rapid-cycle community assessment of health-related social needs of children and families during Coronavirus Disease 2019. Academic pediatrics. 2021 May 1;21(4):677-83.
- Burgette JM, Weyant RJ, Ettinger AK, Miller E, Ray KN. What is the association between income loss during the COVID-19 pandemic and children’s dental care?. The Journal of the American Dental Association. 2021 May 1;152(5):369-76.
- Levin-Decanini T, Henderson C, Mistry S, Dwarakanth N, Ray K, Miller E, Houtrow A. Decreased access to therapeutic services for children with disabilities during COVID-19 stay-at-home orders in Western Pennsylvania. Journal of Pediatric Rehabilitation Medicine. 2022 Jul 15(Preprint):1-5.
Science of Thriving and Brightspotting
- Ettinger AK, Ray KN, Burke JG, Thompson J, Navratil J, Chavis V. & Miller, E.(2020). A Community Partnered Approach for Defining Child and Youth Thriving. Academic Pediatrics.
- Ettinger AK, Risser L, Rahman S, Rigas D, Abromitis R, Stokes LR, Chavis V, Miller E. Defining and measuring child and youth thriving: a scoping review. Pediatrics. 2022 Nov 1;150(5).
- Ettinger AK, Landsittel D, Abebe KZ, Bey J, Chavis V, Navratil JD, Savage Friedman F, Dermody TS, Miller E. THRIVE conceptual framework and study protocol: a community-partnered longitudinal multi-cohort study to promote child and youth thriving, health equity, and community strength. Frontiers in Pediatrics. 2022 Feb 4;9:1646.
- Ray KN, Yahner KA, Bey J, Martin KC, Planey AM, Culyba AJ, Miller E. Understanding Variation In Nonurgent Pediatric Emergency Department Use In Communities With Concentrated Disadvantage: Study examines nonurgent emergency department use by children in communities with concentrated socioeconomic and structural disadvantage. Health Affairs. 2021 Jan 1;40(1):156-64.
Community Vitality Collaborative (COVID19 response/Health Services Delivery)
- Scott T, Gutschow B, Ragavan MI, Ho K, Massart M, Ripper L, Muthama V, Miller E, Bey J, Abernathy RP. A community partnered approach to promoting COVID-19 vaccine equity. Health Promotion Practice. 2021 Nov;22(6):758-60.
- Ragavan MI, Ripper L, Davidson M, Scott T, Gutschow B, Muthama V, Townsend T, Schindler B, Hager E, Carmona E, Henderson C. COVID-19 information sources for Black and Latine communities: A community co-created survey. Progress in Community Health Partnerships: Research, Education, and Action. 2022;16(2):23-32.
- Henderson C, Scott T, Schinder B, Hager E, Friedman FS, Miller E, Ragavan MI. Shifting the Paradigm From Participant Mistrust to Researcher & Institutional Trustworthiness: A Qualitative Study of Researchers’ Perspectives on Building Trustworthiness With Black Communities. Community Health Equity Research & Policy. 2022 Sep 20:0272684X221117710.
- Krakora M, Townsend T, Castillo Smyntek XA, Sickler L, Henry C, Hardeman C, Savage Friedman F, Sidani JE, Amodei J, Ruiz M, Rosen D. From Vaccines to Vitality: The Progression of a Community–Academic Collaboration. Health Promotion Practice. 2022 Dec 8:15248399221137271.
- Salib Y, Amodei J, Sanchez C, Castillo Smyntek XA, Lien M, Liu S, Acharya G, Kihumbu B, Mishra P, Chaves-Gnecco D, Timsina K. The COVID-19 vaccination experience of non-English speaking immigrant and refugee communities of color: A community co-created study. Community Health Equity Research & Policy. 2022 Oct 25:2752535X221133140.
Healthy Pregnancy Collaborative
- Hager E, Lavage DR, Shirriel J, Catov J, Miller E, and Krishnamurti T, on behalf of the Pittsburgh Study Pregnancy Collaborative. A model for engaging citizen scientists: a community-partnered research collaboration to address inequities for Black birthing people. Submitting to Maternal and Child Health Journal.
- Hager E, Lavage DR, Catov J, Miller E, Krishnamurti T, on behalf of the Pittsburgh Study Pregnancy Collaborative. Building Citizen Scientists to Address Preterm Birth Disparities: The Pittsburgh Study Pregnancy Collaborative Experience. In Draft. Targeted journals: Progress in Community Partnerships or Health Equity.
- Hager E, Fochek C, Klem ML, and Krishnamurti T, on behalf of the Pittsburgh Study Pregnancy Collaborative. Thriving in the peripartum period: a community-partnered concept analysis. In Draft. Targeted journals: International Journal of Nursing Studies or BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth.
Early Childhood Collaborative
- Roby E, Shaw DS, Morris P, Canfield CF, Miller EB, Dreyer B, Klass P, Ettinger A, Miller E, Mendelsohn AL. Pediatric primary care and partnerships across sectors to promote early child development. Academic pediatrics. 2021 Mar 1;21(2):228-35.
Early School Age Collaborative & 3Rs
- Positive racial identity development in early education. Journal of Curriculum, Teaching, Learning and Leadership in Education. 2019;4(2):73.
- ** Zinsser KM, and Wanless SB. Racial disproportionality in the school-to-prison pipeline. In M. C. Stevenson, B. L. Bottoms, & K. C. Burke (Eds.), The Legacy of racism for children: Psychology, law, and public policy. New York, NY: Oxford University Press. 2020: 129-149.
- Spear, Caitlin & Briggs, Jennifer & Sanchez, Tiffany & Woody, Marla & Ponce-Cori, Jennifer. (2023). The Power of Picturebooks to Support Early Elementary Teachers’ Racial Literacy in Communities of Practice: An Example from the 3Rs (Reading, Racial Equity, Relationships). Early Childhood Education Journal. 1-13. 10.1007/s10643-023-01500-z.
- Orman, M., (2022, July 7) An Intro to “ecosystem mapping” with Allegheny County’s Literacy Ecosystem. Blog, Remake Learning, Pittsburgh PA.
- Wanless, S.B., Spear, C.F., Artinger, J.V., Briggs, J.O. (in press). Creating spaces for adult learning and professional development: Social-emotional skills for facilitating racial equity discussions. In S.E. Rimm-Kaufman, M.J. Strambler, K. Schonert-Reichl (Eds.), Social and Emotional Learning in Action: Creating Systemic Change in Schools. New York, NY: Guilford Publications. Chapter in press.
Middle Childhood Collaborative & Just Discipline
- Huguley JP, Wang MT, Pasarow S, Wallace Jr JM. Just discipline in schools: An integrated and interdisciplinary approach. Children & Schools. 2020 Jul;42(3):195-9.
- Huguley JP, Delale-O’Connor L, Wang MT, Parr AK. African American Parents’ Educational Involvement in Urban Schools: Contextualized Strategies for Student Success in Adolescence. Educational Researcher [Internet]. 2021 Jan;50(1):6–16.
- Huguley JP, Fussell-Ware DJ, McQueen SS, Wang MT, DeBellis BR. Completing the circle: Linkages between restorative practices, socio-emotional well-being, and racial justice in schools. Journal of Emotional and Behavioral Disorders. 2022 Jun;30(2):138-53.
- ** Wang MT, Henry DA, Smith LV, Huguley JP, Guo J. Parental ethnic-racial socialization practices and children of color’s psychosocial and behavioral adjustment: A systematic review and meta-analysis. American Psychologist. 2020 Jan;75(1):1.
Adolescent Health Collaborative
- Rankine J, Fuhrman B, Copperman E, Miller E, Culyba A. School absenteeism among middle school students with high exposure to violence. Academic pediatrics. 2022 Nov 1;22(8):1300-8.
- Hill AL, Miller E, Switzer GE, Abebe KZ, Chang JC, Pulerwitz J, Brush LD, Hill AV. Gender equitable attitudes among adolescents: A validation study and associations with sexual health behaviors. Adolescent Research Review. 2021 Sep 7:1-4.
- Hill AV, Mistry S, Paglisotti TE, Dwarakanath N, Lavage DR, Hill AL, Iwuanyanwu R, Stokes LR, Jones KA, Miller E. Assessing feasibility of an adolescent relationship abuse prevention program for girls. Journal of Adolescence. 2022 Apr;94(3):333-53.
- Fuhrman BJ, Copperman E, Risser L, Souza J, McFeaters C, Xie CX, et al. Randomized Cluster Trial of the Expect Respect Program as a School-Based Intervention to Prevent Violence among Early Adolescents. In Draft. Targeted journal: Clinical Trials.
- Fuhrman BJ, Copperman E, Risser L, Souza J, McFeaters C, Xie CX, et al. Rationale and design adjustments for a school-based violence prevention program in early adolescence during the COVID-19 pandemic: the Expect Respect Intervention Trial. In Draft. Targeted journal: Clinical Trials.
- The publications in this list are hyperlinked on the article title for quick review, although some of the papers are behind a paywall and only show the abstract (indicated by **) or are in-draft.